Sunday, January 10, 2010

The Music Within Each of Us

I know I already posted twice today, but this will be more of a thought post.  Church was really good today.  I got a new calling and I'm excited for it.  It was nice to talk with my bishop for a few minutes.  He's become one of my close friends the past year and a half.  I went to Temple Preparation class today, which is always a great spiritual lift.  A girl that went on a mission to Russia teaches it every other week and every time she teaches, I cry.  Missions are amazing.  What a wonderful gift from our Heavenly Father to be able to bring people to His Gospel, all the while molding individuals into the spiritual giants they can be.

I was sitting in sacrament meeting and I got out a paper with quotes for 2010 that my grandpa gave the family.  As I read the quotes, one of them popped out to me.  I had to blog about it because it is perfect for my blog name.  It is by Oliver Wendall Holmes and it says "Too many of us die with our music still in us."  When looking at the definition of music, it says that music produces beauty of form, harmony, and expression of emotion.  Form can be defined as the arrangement of parts.  When I titled my blog, I wasn't completely talking about actual music that is inside of me, although there is a lot of that too and I'm grateful to be able to share it with others.  This music that is inside of each of us is our emotions, our testimonies, and our beliefs that work in harmony to make us who we are.  It is the power and strength of our soul.  It is the knowledge that we are each beautiful sons and daughters of God. 

I like to think that some of the "music," or testimony that is in me shows outwardly each day that I live.  I had a recording session and retreat for BYU Singers yesterday and our awesome president gave a great spiritual thought about having enthusiasm.  He had each of us turn to our neighbor and give them a genuine compliment.  I was touched by what my friend said to me.  She said that I show my faith on the outside, not just deep within myself, and that not very many people do that.  I don't share this to boast, only to show that by sharing our light, being positive, cultivating a hope in Christ, being a friend, and sharing our faith outwardly, we can touch lives.  My life has been touched by so many the past few weeks.  My testimony of the importance service and kind words has been strengthened.  It's amazing how the plans we make for ourselves can be completely turned around by an all-knowing, all-powerful Heavenly Father who has things in store for us that we can't even imagine.  He knows what will make us truly happy and will walk with us to help us achieve that happiness.
 
So it is my goal to never let the music inside of me be confined within myself alone.  What a difference you can make if you do the same.  There is a whole world that needs your light, your testimony, your love, and your beautiful music.  Never hide it.  Share it!  Embrace it! Live it!

6 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing your inspiring thoughts and words :0)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heather! I love your blog posts. They are so light and happy :D

    LOVE YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  3. and by LIGHT I mean FULL OF LIGHT!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love it. So true! I think by letting our music out, we create room to make even more.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love reading your blog :) keep the faith!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What an amazing blog with amazing insights!

    ReplyDelete