Monday, July 20, 2009

Have faith, not fear.

Get ready for a very long post with tons of pictures! I got off work on Friday around noon and then had a lot of shopping to do to get ready for the hike. The other activities co-chair, James, and I went to Costco and Maceys to buy all of the supplies we needed. I attempted to take a nap from 6:15-9:30pm but couldn't sleep much because I had so much anxiety/fear about what I was about to do. I didn't really know what to expect on the hike, but I knew that I would have to rely on God to help me through it all. I have never been more scared in my whole entire life as I was at times on the hike. It's not that it was a hard hike, but there were some very difficult spots to get past. I wasn't aware that there would be so many glacier/snow-fields that we would have to cross on such a steep incline. It was a test of my faith the whole way through, but with God's help and the great friends that helped me, I was able to conquer the mountain and fulfill one of my life dreams :)
This was the group from my ward right before we started the hike (nice that my face was cut off!)
Lane and me. Word of advice...if you are going to do a night hike, wear a head-light, no matter how dumb you feel. All of my siblings and me got them for Christmas and I was thinking "I am never going to use this!" I was SO grateful to have it.
I can't figure out how to rotate this because my Mac is so confusing, but you get the idea. This would be my fake smile on the way up the mountain because I was scared to death lol. Luckily someone let me use this stick that was a complete lifesaver when we hit the snow and ice.
On top of the mountain before the sun came up!
Looking out over Utah Valley. We hiked up the Timpanooke trail up American Fork Canyon, so when we got to the top of the mountain, we saw Utah Valley over on the other side.
Almost there!

It was SO gorgeous!
Hiking gear :)


You can see the little people hiking up the snow. It doesn't look that steep, but one slip and you will go tumbling down the mountain with no way to stop until you reach the bottom of the hill. I can't even believe I did it.

This is the trail leading up to the shack from the saddle.
Looking up the first glacier that I slid down. Talk about scary! It wasn't too bad because it's just like sledding, but it would be so easy to get hurt.
I was much more enthusiastic on the way down the mountain!

Again, can't rotate the picture lol.
It was just us three on the way down, which was kind of nice to have such a small group.
Um, yeah...there was no toilet. I did have my first experience ever going to the bathroom in the woods. Not to mention it was on top of the mountain right before the sun came up. I had to go so badly and there were no bushes or anything. Luckily I found a big rock and had someone guard me hahaha.

Absolutely beautiful!

This was how most of the hike was haha. Lane had to hold my hand across every glacier so I wouldn't fall.
This doesn't look steep, but think about the fact that the glacier drops down hundreds of feet, and if you slip, it would not be very possible to grab onto the snow.
There were so many pretty flowers and trees on the way down. It was so different hiking up the mountain in the dark and then hiking down in the sun. I recognized some landmarks, but most of it was like a completely different hike.
Home at last!!! After the hike, we went to a counselor in our Bishopric's house, Brother Wells. He had pancakes and fruit for us. It was so good to be safe, sit down, and relax!!! It was funny watching us walk from the car to the table because most of us could barely move.
I got home around noon and decided I wanted to try and take a nap before my date at 7pm. I was in bed from about 1-5pm and don't even know if I really fell asleep. Every time I closed my eyes, I would see myself falling down a cliff or tripping in the snow lol. It took me a while to get over it. I got up around five and showered, which was so nice after being all muddy. My date was really fun. We played mini-golf and then went out to Thai food. It was great to talk and get to know each other as opposed to seeing a movie or something. I was home by 10:00pm, which has never happened, and I appreciated it so much! It was nice not to stay out until midnight, especially since I needed rest from the hike and I had a meeting before church in the morning. I had a great Sabbath day yesterday and was grateful to relax. Now I am at work and today I am going over to my sister-in-laws to help Xanthe with her bridals. She is getting married THIS WEEK!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm so happy for her. I am missing my new nephew and think it's time I pay a visit to him this week. Okay, I am just putting random things down now. I just want you all to know that I have a testimony of faith and prayer. It grew so much stronger because of this hike. I also think it is great to make a list of things you want to accomplish in life. I have more on my list that I am looking forward to accomplishing. I want to sing the National Anthem for an event someday, go on a mission :) (if marriage doesn't come first), have a family, make a CD (even if it's just for my family and close friends), go to the Rome, Italy temple, etc. It's great to always be working on some goal that will bring you joy. I can't necessarily say that hiking Mt. Timp brought me "joy" haha, but I don't regret doing it. Anyway, I'm grateful for Heavenly Father in my life and all of my great friends. I don't know where I would be without them :)

3 comments:

  1. You did it! Way to go, Sis! I'm impressed that you made the hike on that foot. We'd love to see you soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ditto to what Julia said...I am SO impressed! When I was in elementary school Rach and my dad were going to hike Timp. I insisted on going SEVERAL times and my dad finally gave in. After fifteen minutes of hiking I felt sick, we turned back and that was my attempt at hiking Timp! :0)

    ReplyDelete